The engagement plan also applies the learnings from the pre-engagement. Pre-engagement is a process of interviewing key stakeholders to better understand their needs and interest in the engagement process. In September and October 2019, nine interviews were conducted with key stakeholders, including municipal decision-makers, immediate neighbours, representatives of the North Vancouver Community Association Network and the District of North Vancouver’s Rental, Social and Affordable Housing Task Force.
Here’s what we heard:
- Parking, traffic and construction are main challenges / points of interest.
- There are different opinions amongst stakeholders on how community engagement should be rolled-out – some think engagement should focus on just the immediate neighbourhood and some stakeholders believe all North Vancouver residents should be consulted (our Engagement Plan seeks to engage both local residents, area businesses and owners AND North Vancouver residents in general).
- Clear, accessible and thorough information is greatly important.
- It is important that the engagement is genuine and transparent.
- The community will be greatly interested in certain aspects of the project (the number of non-market housing units, the “green” aspects of the building, and how it will address the affordability issue on the North Shore).
The pre-engagement report also identified stakeholders that should be engaged on this project , and our plan is to reach out to all of them. This website and your feedback are part of the stakeholder engagement process.